Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Not My Proudest Parenting Moment


So....we have been working on potty training for a year this summer. Of course, we did not get serious about it until after Christmas, but it has been a long process for us. Lately though, Robby has been doing really well at school, even coming home in the same big boy underpants that he went to school in. At school, they have a woman whose only job is to change diapers and help the older kids go to the potty/wash hands, etc. (which is crazy in and of itself if you ask me). I was talking to Ms. Carmen today, and she told me that she is really proud of Robby. She said that she will be recommending a tuition break next week because he is potty trained. Well, of course I was thrilled, but I was also surprised because Robby has never in his life done anything other than pee pee in the potty. He will tell you that he is supposed to take care of all of his business on the potty, but frankly, he is just all talk when it comes to anything other than pee pee.


So, being the conscientious mother that I am, I mention this final hurdle that Robby really needs to overcome prior to being considered truly potty trained. Imagine my shock when Ms. Carmen tells me that Robby takes care of any and all necessary pottying in the actual potty at school. And, apparently this is not a new thing.

When I asked Ms. Carmen her secret, she said gives lots of hugs and bribes with a little bit of candy now and then. A little bit of candy?? Is she kidding me? I have presented elaborately decorated gift bags with promises of wonderful surprises inside. I have been known to hall an entire plate of cookies or a whole pan of iced brownies to right outside the bathroom to notify Robby that if he were to overcome this last hurdle, it would be his key to all the brownie or cookie he wanted. And, all of this to no avail. But, for Ms. Carmen, he will comply for a little bit of candy??

When I asked Robby today if does all of his pottying in the toilet at school he matter-off-factly told me yes. When I asked why he does not do the same thing at home, he simply shrugged his shoulders.

I am at a loss for words. And, I'm out of ideas, so if you have any great tips, please do share.

1 comment:

K. said...

Heard at the Osburn dinner table:

"I know you eat carrots for Miss Amy! Why won't you eat carrots for Mommy?"

Answer? My son shrugged his shoulders.

Sorry Amy, no sage words of advice other than this is perfectly normal. Don't beat yourself up over it, it continues throughout their lives!