Monday, April 6, 2009

A Sweet Story

So, this story happened several weeks ago now, but I wanted to wait to share it until the first trimester was over...

Although I was very nauseous every day, I did not throw up too terribly much. So it just happened that there was only one morning where Robby and I were the only two in the house when I got sick.

He has a little table on the landing where he eats breakfast, and he was at his table when I became sick. A couple of minutes into it, however, I heard him coming into the bathroom. I wanted to tell him that mommy was okay, but it was a little difficult. He didn't get scared or anything though.

He just walked up behind me and stood there for a few seconds. Then, he starting pulling my hair out of my face. He just stood behind me holding my hair until I was done and sat down on the floor. Then, he put the lid down and attempted to flush, though he couldn't quite get the handle down.

His love for me was clearer in that moment than I think it will be once he can actually say "I love you, Mommy" to me.

The strange thing though is that I have no idea how he knew what to do. Robby is still of an age where when he feels the need to throw up, he does so wherever he might be at that moment. He has never gone to the bathroom to be sick, and so I have not had the opportunity to stand behind him the same way he did for me. Whenever he is old enough to go through this himself, I will always remember as I stand behind him taking care of him that he did the same for me first without any prompting other than his own desire to take care of me in whatever way he can.

2 comments:

Lori said...

What a sweet boy! That brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing. :)

Kenny and Chrissy said...

I have to admit that I hope this newest baby Sloan is a girl, but could anything be sweeter than that precious baby boy?