Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Machinations of a Two Year Old

Three blogs in one week--I think this might be a new world record (at least, for me), but I had to share this story because it keeps making me laugh.

So, I never knew until I had a child of my own just how young we are when we learn the fine art of manipulation. Robby has been developing and fine-tuning a manipulation technique for a few weeks now, and at first, I was pretty oblivious and maybe even impressed with his grown-up behavior (you will see why when I explain it in a second). Now that I have caught on to his strategy, it is all I can do not to laugh when I catch him at it.

Here is how it generally goes down: Robby sets his heart on something that he knows will not be allowed. For example, this could be a cookie before breakfast, watching a movie, a glass of milk, staying up late, etc. He then brings up the object of his desire by coming up to either Bryan or myself and letting us know that he does not want or need the object in question. It goes like this:

Robby spies Mommy filling cups full of chocolate to send to his teachers for his Valentine's Day party tomorrow. He walks up to Mommy very solemnly and says, "No chocolate Mommy. No chocolate for Robby." I will generally agree with him, saying "That's right," or "sounds good." He repeats his statements about his lack of desire for the chocolate until I repeat it back to him--"That's right, no chocolate for Robby." It is at this moment that I have fallen into his well-laid trap, and he wastes no time springing it. He then perks up with a big smile on his face and says, "Chocolate for Robby!"

Apparently, he believes that if he can get me to say his name and the object of his desire in the same sentence, then I have been tricked into offering him whatever it is that he wants. He then acts surprised but willing to accept whatever it is that I have now offered him.

I have yet to see this ruse work, but I will give him props for his general persistance in attempting the technique. He has done it well over a dozen times at this point. And, while he may not get the object of his desire, I am impressed with his ability to create plans that involve multiple steps and then work to execute each step in his plan.

On another funny side note about Robby, yesterday as I was fixing lunch, Robby had climbed into his chair at the table in anticipation of eating. I had set Juliet's bumbo on the table for her to join us as well. The next thing I knew, the bumbo was on the floor face down. I asked Robby what happened to Juliet's chair, and he looked around and shrugged and uttered one word--Barneby. I said, "what happened?" and he told me again "Barneby did it." (Barneby is our cat).

I can see that Bryan and I have entered into a new stage of parenting, whether we are ready for it or not...

3 comments:

Kenny and Chrissy said...

Of course Barneby did it, but pretty soon, it will be Juliet who did it :).

Int'l Public Historian said...

That is pretty hilarious! I think you need to watch some supernanny...words of wisdom :)

Eraina said...

That's funny