Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Mister


I remember a conversation with a friend a few years back when the friend told me that her husband had accepted a telecommuting job that would allow him to work from home. My friend is a stay-at-home mother with two children. While I ooohed and aaahed over what a wonderful development that was, in the back of my mind I was thinking two things:

1. She is crazy to think that this will work
2. My marriage would never survive that kind of arrangement

I did not consider this assessment to be the result of a bad relationship with my husband--on the contrary. I just thought that too much time together would drive us both batty.

Fastforward a little over a year, and suddenly my hubby and I found ourselves in almost the exact same situation, except that I was telecommuting too. The first few months were definitely an adjustment. There were new lines to be drawn and new territory to be staked out. The proceedings were not always jocular.

But, now a year later, we have transitioned into a pattern that we both have found works for us. And the best part is that he still has the power to surprise and delight me. Like when he got on Amazon to look through the list of recent bestsellers just to see if there was anything on there I might like and then ordered me a handful of books without mentioning a word until they arrived at my doorstep. Like taking me to Winslow's cafe on the spur of the moment for no special occasion at all. Like watching the season finale of Grey's Anatomy with me even though he really isn't that big of a fan of the show.

This weekend we celebrate Father's Day, and to be sure my mister is a great father. Truly. But, right now, what I most want to celebrate is his husbandness (blah, blah, blah, that's not a word. It's the essence I'm going for here people). Because in that category too he is great.

**Sweetie, I am not sure how often you check this blog (do you? check this blog I mean?), but if you are reading this, ILY and MB.**

1 comment:

K. said...

Amy, that is so sweet! What a lovely family life you guys have!

Kathy

P.S. Bryan so owes you a new pair of really cute shoes for this one!