Thursday, August 12, 2010

I Have Issues

The pictures above were taken right before I left this morning to fly to Phoenix for a work conference that starts tomorrow. Upon arrival this afternoon, I found that I had the whole afternoon/evening to myself. So, I did what any self-respecting mother would do. I went shoe shopping and then went to a movie. Of the movies that are out, the ones I really wanted to see were all something that I knew my hubby wants to see too, so I ended up picking a rather strange indy film about two mothers whose teenage children decided to find their biological donor father.

I have to admit that I found little in the movie that I related to until the end. The last scene is a farewell scene as the two moms drop their daughter off at college to start her freshman year. I teared up then, and I am tearing up now (I kid you not).

I get that the goal of parenting is to see your children grow up, leave the nest, and go be successful as adults. In my head, I get it. But, right now that feels like someone telling me that in 15 short years I have to hand my leg over so that it can learn to be independent. If not my leg, then definitely my heart. How am I supposed to just take my babies, plop them in a dorm room, and walk away?

Yes, I know, I know. I have many years to prepare for this eventuality. And, yes, I know that by the time this happens I will have lived through the teenage years. But, like I said. I have issues. Now apparently is as good a time as any to start stressing about this goodbye. It's like what Sally says in When Harry Met Sally.

Sally: "And, I'm gonna be 40."

Harry:"When?" Sally: "Someday."

Harry, "In 8 years."

Sally: "But it's there. It's just sitting there, like some big dead end."

So, me? I'm gonna go start thinking about how to work out my issues. And you? If you haven't seen When Harry Met Sally, that's what you need to do.

3 comments:

K. said...

Well I have been preparing for years and now here I sit with 3 years before my daughter leaves for college. God will work you through it. I fought Him on this, so He arranged for me to take a job where I can no longer be with my daughter constantly. It almost killed me, but now I see what He is doing. He is preparing me and slowly moving my daughter to more and more independence.

Kenny and Chrissy said...

Jeans. The answer can be found in really cute jeans :). And drinks with umbrellas.

minda312 said...

2 things.

your hair looks AWESOME in these pictures!

and

awwww. i'll tear up with you :-)