Sunday, August 15, 2010

I Need New Mascara


(This picture was taken this morning prior to the events outlined below. P.S. Grammy--he loves the shirt and even let me take this picture to show you how good it looks on him)

So, today I figured out how to knock two things off my to-do list in one shot: I would continue my trend of cooking something new at least once a week and make sure Robby got to celebrate his birthday in style at school this week by making homemade cupcakes for him to take to school tomorrow. As I lay in bed last night sleepless from jet lag, I even came up with this (slightly unoriginal) concept:



....no not just a bunch of cupcakes. Squint your eyes and let your creative juices flow. Then, you will clearly see that it is a caterpillar. --You could tell. I knew you had a discerning eye, my friend.

Anyway, the point of this is that while I was hard at working making this culinary delight, my children were upstairs for their daily nap. Unfortunately. . . only the one who is actually unable to get out of bed without help was in her bed.

The other had stealthily made his way to my bathroom, where his inquiring mind stumbled upon my makeup bag. What is a little boy to do with a whole bagful of makeup and no grownup around? Well, let's see:

1. dump it all out on the bathmat
2. open up the various containers and deposit the contents in a pile on the floor and mix around to see what color is created.
3. use the wands from one item to the next so that concealer becomes black and mascara pink.
4. attempt to save the parentals loads of money by experimenting to see if enough mascara applied to the hair will allow a glimpse of what you might look like with black hair (the verdict--we will stick with the more natural tones for the foreseeable future).

Needless to say that once he was discovered he was in BIG TROUBLE both for getting out of bed during nap time and playing with Mommy's stuff that he is not supposed to touch. But, after the punishment time had ended and the bath was administered, he was allowed to come downstairs and test out one of the cupcakes.

I only felt slightly guilty when I snuck the last couple of bites of the cupcake when he went to go to the bathroom considering that I am now out of concealer, blush, and mascara. I only felt slightly guiltier at allowing the poor kitchen fly to be blamed for the missing cupcake upon his return from the bathroom.

3 comments:

tah said...

I mean really. The yucky fly? The fly?????

Jenna said...

You are mean! You must have been trained well in that area!

Auntie Woman said...

Awesome! He is an inquisitive kid - that will take him places for sure in the future. However, in the meantime... :)
And - Curtis, just you wait, when you have kids you just may change your mind on how mean she is!