Sunday, March 29, 2009

Dip It!



My husband is well known in certain circles for his propensity to "dip it" when on water skis. This "move" entails a one hand rope hold while the other hand carelessly skims the top of the water as he rides along. Whenever we are on a lake and he takes to the skis, cries of "dip it" can be heard from the boat for the duration of his turn. My son appears to be trying to follow in his daddy's footsteps, although his technique of "dipping it" requires a completely different set of circumstances. For my son, "dipping it" is all about the food.

This pregnancy (yes, for anyone who doesn't know, I am three months along!!!) has found a much more nauseous Amy than my previous pregnancies, so cold foods have been better for me than hot. Recently, I hit upon the idea of veggies and dip to go along with the fruits I have been consuming on a regular basis. So, I pulled out the standard sour cream/onion veggie dip my family has used for years and made up a batch. Oh, but if I had known the consequences....

It turns out that Robby loves dip. If he hears the word, he will go stand by the refrigerator and whine "diiiiiiip." If that is not effective quickly, he will try to drag whichever parent is close by to obtain said item of dip.

While he usually will eat some of the veggies that accompany the dip, often the dip becomes the main item of interest. Note in the picture the forlorn carrots on one side of the tray while the dip is being transferred directly to his mouth via spoon.

While a visit to Rio Mambo's last night proved that this dip is not the only dip that can satisfy my little dipper, I thought I would share the recipe because it is so easy and so good:

Harris Family Veggie Dip:

16 oz sour cream
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp minced onion
2 tbs parsley flakes

Mix together and enjoy! I mostly eat it just on veggies but Bryan likes it with chips too.

1 comment:

tah said...

What nothing about the queso by name or mess? And more surprising nothing about his love of tomatoes and the juice they create???

He is quite the "dipper" for sure!!