Monday, January 12, 2009

Reasons Why Being a Mom is So Worth Any Sacrifice!

This weekend we basically just hung out at the house and relaxed (though I have been fighting some sickness due to side effects of a medication). There were several moments where I was forcibly hit with just how wonderful being a mommy can be!:

1. When Bryan got home on Friday evening, Robby just about flew into his arms and would not leave his side for the rest of the night. (Bryan works late several days a week and so doesn't get to spend time with Robby every evening any more). It was so sweet to see how much he loves his Daddy, but it is always sad when he refuses to come to me. But then...

2. On Sunday, we went for a short walk in the neighborhood where Robby rode on his new tricycle and Bryan and I walked next to him. For much of the walk, Robby wanted to hold my hand. This was very special because on the whole, he is not much into hand holding, and usually only when he is scared. It was a clear sign of affection for me, and it made my heart swell to whole new proportions.

3. Then, after his nap, we all wanted a snack, so I popped some popcorn and put some plain M&Ms in it. We all sat on the couch (Robby between us) and ate popcorn and watched the Steelers blow out the Chargers (yay!). When Robby found the M&Ms it became like a treasure hunt to find them and eat them as fast as possible. But, he apparently noticed that mommy was doing the same thing (well, I can't have him eating too much sugar--it was a parenting tactic I tell you!). So, he started feeding me the M&Ms when he found them instead of eating them himself. That, my friends, is true love right there!

4. His vocabulary and grasp of what we say is just exploding, and he learns new things every day. Right now he is very into finding planes in the sky to show you and to show you his and/or your belly button. So, this morning, he was a little fussy as we got ready, so I thought we would work a little on learning our body parts. I asked him where his ear was, and he pointed to his ears. Surprised (he has not been that consistent with body parts outside of nose and belly button and foot), I asked him where my eyes were. He obligingly showed me exactly. Boldly now, I asked him where his mouth was. No surprise at this point, he pointed to his mouth. While this was no declaration of love, it was just amazing to see how quickly he has gone from sometimes knowing these words to having a very clear grasp on them.

Oh yeah, and update on the daycare situation--when I went to pick him up the day I posted they said after I left he had a great day, and each day has been even better than the last. Today was the first day that he did not cry at all when I left. I think the move was the right decision after all!

No comments: